Welcome to THE SKANES REPORT. I hope everyone had a fantastic summer, especially with all the great weather we had. Now for some winter home maintenance and don’t forget your Winter Tire discount!! Also, a reminder about our Financial Services Division.
WINTER HOME MAINTENANCE
Your Heating System – Before Winter
- Have your furnace or boiler checked and serviced at least once a year, preferably before the heating seasons begins.
- Clean or replace the furnace filter on forced hot air systems.
- Have your chimney checked and serviced at least once a year. Pay particular attention to having creosote build-up removed.
Your Heating System – During Winter
- Have your fuel tanks filled and keep an eye on levels throughout the winter.
- Set your heat no lower than 55 degrees.
- open doors to unoccupied rooms to keep an even temperature throughout the house.
- Maintain your wood-burning or pellet stoves.
- Add extra insulation in the attic to guard against ice dams. If too much heat escapes into the attic, it can warm the ice and snow on the roof. When it refreezes, it can cause an ice dam, leading to water damage.
- Add weather stripping around doors and caulk windows to guard against drafts and heat loss.
- Remove screens from windows, and install storm windows.
- Check for water leaks and fix problems immediately; wrap water piping in UL-Listed heat tape and insulate if it is exposed in unheated areas such as garages, crawl spaces or attics.
- Learn how to shut off your water and know where your pipes are located in case they do freeze; you may be able to prevent water damage.
Your Winter Safety Measures
- Trim trees and remove dead branches so they do not damage your home or injure someone if they fall because of ice, snow or wind.
- Keep gutters clear of leaves, sticks and other debris to ensure melting snow can drain properly.
- Make sure downspouts direct water away from the foundation.
- Repair steps and handrails to make them safer.
FINANCIAL SERVICES AVAILABLE
Our Financial Services are headed up by Andy MacDonald and some of the services available are outlined below.
- Home Equity Line of Credits
- Registered Retirement Savings Plan
- Tax Free Savings Accounts
- Registered Retirement Income Funds
- Registered Education Savings Plans
- Investment Accounts
A MIXTURE OF HORSE SENSE AND COMMON SENSE!